E10 petrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E10 petrol

Frightening article about E10 petrol and the future of vehicles pre 2002!

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...rom%20%251%24s

Who remembers Cleveland Discol? Available from, I think, 1928 and finally disappeared bin 1960. It had 15% Ethanol - how did we all manage the problems that we are told will come with E10?

Comment

well I've had 3 floats now filled with petrol which I thought was caused by ethanol attacking the solder. I've also had issues with some of the rubber petrol pipes. I use Ethanolmate in the petrol as well

Comment

A few years ago, I conducted an experiment with old fashioned unleaded; E5 and E10. In three separate Kilner jars I put a copper nail, a petrol resistant rubber O-ring and a brass screw. I put Unleaded in one, E5 in another and E10 in the third and left them for 18 months.
        After 6 months, the items in the unleaded jar were completely unaffected. Those in the E5 jar were OK too but the rubber O-ring was a bit soft. The copper and brass in the E10 were bright looking with a slight roughness on the surface and the rubber O-ring was in tact but very soft.
        After 12 months, the items in the unleaded were still completely unaffected. The copper and brass in the E5 were bright with a noticeable roughening of the surface and the rubber O-ring was just starting to leach black colour into the petrol and was sticky to touch. The copper and brass in the E10 were markedly rougher and the O-ring was in a poor state, very sticky and soft. The E5 and E10 also smelled different - with a vaguely vanish-like smell and slight darkening in colour.
        After 18 months, the items in the unleaded were still unchanged. The copper and brass in the E5 were markedly rougher and there was what looked like a vague pinkish haze at the bottom or the jar. The rubber O-ring was jelly like and had leached colour into the petrol immediately surrounding it. The copper and brass in the E10 looked corroded and there was a definite pink coloured deposit in the bottom of the jar. The O-ring was just a black haze and I couldn't find it. The E5 and particularly the E10 smelled strongly of varnish and were much darker in colour.

At the end, I put roughly a tablespoonful of each petrol in the lid of a jam jar and tried to light it. The unleaded burned easily but the E5 and E10 were difficult to light.

Comment

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        No content found
        Show More

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
        Working...
        X