Mot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mot

Took my 75/90 in for her MOT in the freezing fog this morning. Passed of course with a couple of comments. NSF brake needs adjusting and very slight play in the ball joint on the steering drop arm. The tester who I know quite well, said that there is lobbying going on to rescind the rule that earlier cars don't need to be tested - he said there have been a number of accidents with classic/old cars which have turned out to be unroadworthy. I've always had my cars MOT'd for that very reason - it gives us as a movement, a bad name and also, you can't easily replicate your car being up on a ramp with the tester checking your steering etc and then brakes on their rollers.

Another issue - after the MOT I had a look at the distributor cap - the carbon brush had completely disappeared! The engine was running ok but there must have been a tremendous arc! I got a new cap from Sue Wheildon as we had ordered a batch from the Distributor Doctor - perfect!

Comment

Guy,
      I had a somewhat similar occurrence. One day I observed the carbon button was pitted. I found that the cause was that the spring contact on the rotor arm was not making contact with the button so I adjusted the height, cleaned the button and all has been fine since then. I was surprised how much the spring needed adjusting to get proper contact!
      Attached Files

Comment

Guy,
        I had my car inspected by my local garage - they were most thorough. Passed with flying colours. Brake testing on the front wheels on the roller showed well balanced braking force through the whole range of pedal pressures. Even the headlights passed muster!

Comment

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        No content found
        Show More

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
        Working...
        X