Cylinder Head Valve Seat Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder Head Valve Seat Replacement

Hi everyone I am new to this forum so please bear with me.
    I am re building my AV 95 Wide bodied saloon and have come to a halt with a couple of issues.
    The sump was stolen from my car and I obtained a replacement one from John Dodd, but I need the oil pump pick up filter and the Hobson Telegraph unit to allow the sump to be fitted?
    My car is a 95 but was ordered with the 105 dash and instruments. It has double spare wheels and was ordered new by the Robinson Brewery Family in Stockport where it was taken off the road in 1953 with engine and gear is issues.
    I also need to know if anyone has had the cylinder head valve seats replaced and are there any issues to look out for?
    I have a fantastic machine shop near me but they are a bit apprehensive until they are sure that they will not hit a cooling gallery or oil way? Has anyone had this done or done it themselves and can they give me some advice?
    I intend to keep the car as a saloon as there are not many left that have not been made into something else.
    I also need a short shaft pre selector gearbox as the one I have has been stripped and scattered to the four corners of the world.
    Imhave a long way to go but have the bit between my teeth and am making good progress at the moment.
    Any help with any of my shortages or issues would be much appreciated.

Hi David
    Good on you - a very worthwhile project and to keep the saloon body. I would have thought John Dodd or Foppe d'Hane would advise you on the cylinder head. Regarding the gearbox, try Ian Potts who looks after the club's secondhand spares. Cecil Schumacher is the guru on preselector rebuilds
    Good luck with it
    Guy

Comment

PS It would be really great if you would post pictures on here as you progress. Set up a new thread under Restorations

Comment

Hello David,

It looks to be the basis of a nice car.

Re Valve seats..........give Brian Randell a call at Randell Engineering in Suffolk. He told me that he knows how to do it. The difficulty is that there are water channels running around
        them. Machining out the recesses isn't a problem but getting seat inserts to stay in and seal is, so your machine shop's caution is well founded.

Re missing parts...........I have a spare oil pump strainer and the sender unit for the sump......I also have a lot of gearbox spares. I would definitely talk to Cecil re the gearbox as no matter what used parts you may acquire there will inevitably be some repairs needed and the incorporation of some of his modifications.
        Ian P looks after the used spares....there is a list of the inventory on this site. The STD also has used parts.

Where are you based....there are a number of monthly noggins that are a good source of advice and encouragement. If you want to chat then call me on my mobile....number in the members list.

Regards,
        Dick.

Comment

Hi David
          What a terrific project! Like you I think these lovely old saloons are well worth saving. I agree with all that's been said above. Brian Randall did the seats in my AM75 head and does much of the machining work, I believe for Foppe and Gareth Burnett, so he's well versed in these things.
          Cecil Schumacher is beginning to wind down a bit so I'd be inclined to get in touch sooner rather than later if you want him to do your gearbox.
          I look forward to seeing your progress and do feel free to get in touch.
          Doug.

Comment

• Filter
          • Time
          • Show
          • New Topics
          Clear All
          No content found
          Show More

• Filter
          • Time
          • Show
          • New Topics
          Clear All
          Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
          Working...
          X