14/45 Cylinder block oil gallery pipe plug removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14/45 Cylinder block oil gallery pipe plug removal

Can anyone please advise if the aluminium plug in the rear of the cylinder block oil gallery tube is threaded, and if so what is the thread?
    I want to remove it to clean the oil gallery pipe. So, any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi Ron,

Yes, it's threaded. I had to remove the one from Fuggle and had a detailed tutorial from Vinnie on its replacement. He has provided me with his box of blanks and a tap that he made. The thread is 14mm x 1.5. Vinnie told me that you make up a suitable plug by threading the end of an aluminium bar, then carefully adjust the thread with a 1.5mm pitch chaser while the bar is in the lathe until the plug has a small taper and is tight in the block. Once fitted, you saw off the end of the bar and you're done.

I must confess, that in the face of all this wisdom, I simply used one of his blanks and screwed it in with a modern silicon based sealant (Loctite grey). I think that modern oils, sealants and glues and far superior to those that Georges and even Vinnie were/are familiar with. So far so good.....

Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,
      Thank you for your prompt response.
      Can you please advise how you got the existing one out of the cylinder block?
      If you have any spare blanks would you be prepared to sell me one please?

Ron.

Comment

Hi Martin,
        Forget my previous post as I have just removed the old plug with an easyout - no problem. I am going to use a modern car sump plug and fit using a Loctite sealant as you did
        Last edited by Ron Rumbol; 18-01-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        No content found
        Show More

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
        Working...
        X