14/45 Pedal assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14/45 Pedal assembly

Can anyone please offer any advice on how to reassemble the pedal assembly with the return springs?

Hi Ron, It is a Talbot that you are working on, so it is not ever easy, but it will be well worthwhile the effort when you have succeeded. The best way I've found to do it is to start by screwing the bolt over which the tube slides, over which the springs clip, just loosely into the threaded boss in the gearbox. You can pick up the clutch pedal spring as you fit it quite easily. Next for the brake spring, slide the spring along the tube as you push the pedal on it's shaft and I think you can just about do this with the spring clipped in place around the pedal. By the time you get to the accelerator pedal spring the whole thing gets very tight, this is where having the spring anchor bolt slack comes into play as it is able to lean over out of line and reduce the pressure on the last spring. If you cannot get the last spring on the bar, with the heal of the pedal below it you will need to unclip the spring from behind the pedal and then slide the pedal along until it is almost home and then, with a hooked wire pick up the spring hook and, with effort pull it back and over the pedal shaft.

It is not easy to do, but I am sure that over the years I have found the secret is to have that bar slack in it's nut. Good luck! James

Comment

Hi James, Many thanks for your detailed procedure which I will try tomorrow.

Comment

Hi James,
        Many thanks for your advice which I followed and it is all assembled now.
        If I have to do it again I am going to try something different. I am going to pretension each of the springs and fit a wire loop to hold the springs in tension, fit them all and then release the springs by cutting the wire.
        I now have to take on the task of adjusting the pedals.
        Thanks again for your help.
        Ron.

Comment

Hi Ron,

Glad you've got there. I've tried a loop of wire around the springs but, if I remember correctly, when I cut the end the wire was firmly trapped between the spring and the pedal and was almost impossible to pull out. Hopefully you won't have to do it again anytime soon. James.

Comment

• Filter
          • Time
          • Show
          • New Topics
          Clear All
          No content found
          Show More

• Filter
          • Time
          • Show
          • New Topics
          Clear All
          Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
          Working...
          X