Fuggle's Truck Engine Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuggle's Truck Engine Restoration

Apologies to those who use Facebook and have seen all this before, but I thought that in view of comments on here that there are those who don't do social media who may miss out on Talbot related stuff but who may be interested in the restoration of the engine in the 1929 AG(/AD)14/45 Pick-up.

I will copy any posts I place on Facebook on here as well. By way of background, I have started a small business, named after the truck, called "Fuggle's Fettling". The business is concerned with restoring pre and post war vehicle components and I often write in the third person when I discuss the truck, hence writing about the mythical "Mr. Fuggle".

I will start from my posts in November last year which means that by that time, I have already removed and stripped the engine, discovered the terrible state that the crankshaft and camshaft were in, repaired by laser welding a small break at the bottom of a cam follower hole, sourced a replacement crankshaft which I had had reground, sourced new old stock pistons and bitten the bullet to commission a new set of connecting rods at vast expense with the aim to provide fully-floating gudgeon pins. We can now join the action!
    Next stop: new white metal bearings throughout now the fancy new con-rods have arrived.
    First job was to refit all the studs and the main bearing caps and to lap the crank damper from the old crankshaft on to the nose of the reground replacement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1498.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	297

Name:	IMG_1492.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	298 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1497.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	299

Name:	IMG_1499.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	300

Great to see you on here Martin - I've been following your Facebook pages with much interest.

Comment

More of repairs to Fuggle's truck: The special bolt for the crankshaft is typical Talbot - only moved using a special spanner the like of which is lost to time..... So an old King Dick socket (already worn out), some steel stock, a lathe and a welder and 'hey presto' a special King Dick Talbot Crankshaft Bolt Tool. Eat your heart out, Snap-On!

Name:	IMG_1501.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	303Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	304Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_525.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	305 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1500.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	306

Comment

1st December 2018:

Not much to report on Mr. Fuggle's own Talbot 14/45 pickup project this week except that I took the engine off to Yorkshire to have its main bearings and the new con-rods white metalled.

That's another 144 miles this engine has travelled without actually being in the car! It's already been to Havant and back (270 miles) for laser welding.

Another blow to the budget was that the expected bearing shells that the white metal is applied to turned out not to be shells at all, they are solid white metal - that explains the "WM/B" at the end of the part number - White Metal Bearing - D'oh! New bronze shell bearings will need to be made first.
        On the good news front, the new camshaft has arrived from Kent Cams looking a lot shinier and useable than the original!

Name:	IMG_1537.jpeg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	308Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1554.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	309Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1556.jpeg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	311

Comment

15th December 2018:
          A little bit more Fettling has gone on with Dr. Fuggle's own ride. The engine is due to have all the white metalling completed early next week so as well as a trip "oop North" to pick it up, thoughts turned to the cylinder head.
          I had partially polished the valve ports in the head before I started stripping the engine (and moved house, hence the rust!) but having removed the valve guides this week, I was able to finish it. It's not up to Formula anything standards but it will be an improvement on the original state!
          I now need some new valve guides made from the mythical Colsibro!

Name:	IMG_1632.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	313 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1633.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	314 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1634.jpeg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	315 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1642.jpeg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	316

Comment

Martin,
            I thoroughly applaud your decision to copy your posts on Facebook to this forum. Your posts are just the sort of information that I think is so valuable to the Talbot community and greatly enhances the value of the forum. It providing a searchable resource in a way that is not possible on Facebook and has a permanence that we can rely on. I hope that it will encourage other TOC members to also become members of the Forum and take an active part by contributing. Well done and thank you.
            Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by gordon higginbotham View Post
              Martin,
              I thoroughly applaud your decision to copy your posts on Facebook to this forum. Your posts are just the sort of information that I think is so valuable to the Talbot community and greatly enhances the value of the forum. It providing a searchable resource in a way that is not possible on Facebook and has a permanence that we can rely on. I hope that it will encourage other TOC members to also become members of the Forum and take an active part by contributing. Well done and thank you.
              Gordon
              Originally posted by Guy Gregory View Post
              Great to see you on here Martin - I've been following your Facebook pages with much interest.
              Thanks chaps, lets hope it's not too boring! It's a loooong old story!

Comment

4th February 2019:

A sense of excitement has befallen Mr. Fuggle. His Talbot 14/45's newly white metalled cylinder block with brand new bronze bearing shells and lovely white metalled big ends (missus) has landed in the workshop!

There's much excitement, though now he has to find someone to machine some circlip grooves in the NOS +0.030 pistons and shorten the gudgeon pins to convert them to fully floating. More expense and more waiting!

Need to think about timing gear now that the new cam is waiting to be fitted. Fabroil or steel? Hmm!
                In the meantime feast your eyes on this work of art! Mr, Roesch would be delighted!

Name:	IMG_1975.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	320 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976.jpeg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	321 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1977.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	322 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1978.jpeg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	323 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1979.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	324

Comment

3rd March 2019:

Mr Fuggle's weekend workshop! Out with the old, in with the new: Camshaft, camshaft sprocket, camshaft nut, lockwasher, woodruff key and oil pump drive sprocket. Should run a bit better than it did!

Still waiting for new valve guides and pistons which are being machined for gudgeon pin circilps.

It seems like ages since I took the engine out (it is - 10 months!). I can't wait until it's back in one piece again! Here's a "before" picture to remind me what Fuggle looked like before I pulled him apart! New pistons, reground crank, new con rods, white metalling throughout, new camshaft, new cam followers, new cam sprocket, new oil pump sprocket, new valve springs, new valves, new valve guides and new pushrods. Quite a shopping list but the bits I've taken out were probably 90 years old! The timing gear is steel from Foppe d'Hane rather than Fabroil. Hopefully, I won't regret it on the grounds of noise!

Name:	IMG_0564.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	328 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2114.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	329 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2115.jpeg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	330
                  Attached Files

Comment

17th March 2019:

Fettling Mr Fuggle's car weekend:

Not much done but we did manage to lap the cam sprocket on to the camshaft (that's cam lube, not blood!) and trial fit the camshaft in the block. Unfortunately, the woodruff key rattles in the keyway a little and having broken a camshaft for that very reason once on a 2 litre Diesel Series One Land Rover, I am aware of the consequences so a new one has been ordered.

The new oil pump sprocket was also trial fitted which reminded me to buy a new oil pump pressure relief ball bearing - oddly, it's 11/16" not metric like the rest of George Roesch's designs. Must've found them easier to find than 17mm in South Kensington - I found mine on eBay - New balls please! Hopefully, I'll get the pistons back next week and I can progress a little further - and clean the swarf out of the block a little better!

Name:	IMG_2228.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	333 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2229.jpeg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	332 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2227.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	334

Comment

15th April 2019: Mr. Fuggle is beside himself, the pistons for his ride (New Old Stock Wellworthy items from the STD spares stock) have now been machined for circlips and the pins have been shortened and now the rods even fit in them. I wasn't until Mr. Fuggle took the pistons and the rods off to have the circlip grooves cut that he discovered that the rods wouldn't fit inside the pistons. Fred Harper had to machine a substantial amount of the gudgeon pin boss away from inside the piston to allow the connecting rod clearance.
                      Not long before the bottom end of the Talbot 14/45 Pick-up engine is ready to go back in the truck!
                      I'm not sure that Georges Roesch would approve, fitting a 1929 engine with weird new-fangled ARP 12 point big end cap bolts. Mr. Fuggle's even had to buy a new tool for them - and it's not 1930's Britool!

Name:	IMG_2336.jpeg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	339 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2337.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	336 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2338.jpeg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	340

Attached Files

Comment

22nd April 2019: A bit of Birthday Fettling for Mr. Fuggle. A trial fit of all the shiny bits into the Talbot's cylinder block. They all went in and it still turns!

Actually this is a bit of a cheat, one piston has already been fitted to see how much material could be removed from the top of the block with the aim of increasing the compression a bit. A full 1mm was taken off which is why the top of the block is now much cleaner!
                        Next stop: Cylinder head and push rods!

Name:	IMG_2360.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	343 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2361.jpeg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	345 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2363.jpeg
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	342 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2362.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	344

Comment

28th April 2019:

Weekend update on Mr. Fuggle's Talbot Pick-up engine: I really feel like we're getting somewhere now, the new Colsibro valve guides are finished, complete with a little indulgence for posterity! Well, as soon as I discovered there was a facility for laser etching machined parts, it would have been rude not to have two of them etched with the date! I now have a spare inlet guide with my name on it as a souvenir.

It's quite nice to have Fuggle's Fettling located in Britain's Motorsport Valley and have access to Formula 1 quality machinists in the neighbourhood. Quite what the 1929 truck will think of F1 technology, is anyone's guess!
                          I now have new valve guides, new exhaust valves and a complete set of new valve springs. It'll be off to have the seats cut and the inlet valves refaced this week (hopefully) and then I can trial fit it and measure up for the push-rods.
                          Is the end in sight?
                          Will Mr. Fuggle's truck be back on the road this summer?
                          Will the engine finally travel in the car it's supposed to be in?
                          Watch this space!

Name:	IMG_2401.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	348 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2400.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	350 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2402.jpeg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	349 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1472.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	347

Comment

14th May 2019: A little weekend fettling on Fuggle's truck. Spent a happy Saturday afternoon cleaning up and fitting the cylinder head studs. This took a lot longer than you'd think but its starting to look like I'm getting somewhere!
                            Thoughts have now moved to rocker gear and I have a few rocker pedestals to choose from but they're all showing their 80 plus years.

Name:	IMG_2430.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	352 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2447.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	353

Comment

23rd June 2019:

Well, a liitle bit of progress on Mr. Fuggle's truck engine: The head has returned!

Fresh from having the new Colisbro valve guides fitted and reamed; the valve seats cut; the inlet valves refaced; and the sealing surfaces refinished on an enormous and impressive surface grinder at Automotive Services in Northampton.

The next problem is the inlet and exhaust manifolds. The original fitment was a one-piece casting which inevitably used to crack. Many years ago, the foremost Talbot 14 experts, Anthony and Vincent Rawlings realised that it would be possible to make separate inlet and exhaust manifolds, the former as a new aluminium casting and the latter as an iron casting. However, once the two manifolds are separated, they need new studs to attach them to the head. Anthony realised that the head was actually designed with this modification in mind but it was never implemented by the factory: there is sufficient material in the cylinder head casting to allow for it to be drilled and tapped and new studs / bolts fitted to attach the modified manifolds. Unfortunately, although Mr. Fuggle's truck was fitted with the modified manifolds, the holes weren't drilled, there was a flimsy adapter plate fitted instead with copious quantities of orange instant gasket.
                              Mr. Fuggle will soon visit Vinnie Rawlings who still has a drilling jig for the head so that the new holes can be accurately drilled. Then the manifolds can be fitted as intended - many months ago (last year!), the exhaust manifold was plasma coated to reduce the heat in the engine bay. It looks the mutt's nuts so I can't wait to fit it!

Name:	IMG_2603.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	359

Name:	IMG_2606.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	355 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2644.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	356 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2643.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	357 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2645.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	358

Comment

• Filter
                              • Time
                              • Show
                              • New Topics
                              Clear All
                              No content found
                              Show More

• Filter
                              • Time
                              • Show
                              • New Topics
                              Clear All
                              Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
                              Working...
                              X