Gregory 90 restoration - trial moving info from old forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregory 90 restoration - trial moving info from old forum

Well, it's arrived - my new project - an AO90 9'3" chassis and piles of bits. I've been beavering away and photos are attached. The front axle has had new king pins fitted and is just being finished off; the steering box is being sorted, 3 hartfords have been rebuilt, leaf springs stripped, cleaned and packed with graphite grease mixed with thick oil. Track rod and drag link stripped, cleaned and ready to reassemble and so it goes on! It's a great way to enjoy retirement
    Cheers
    Guy
    Logged Online
    John Ward
    March 5, 2010, 1:25am Quote Report to Moderator

Administrator Group

Hi Guy,

Now I know why you were asking about refurbishment of the hartford shockers !! It should be a great car - do you have a start the engine date for the TOC calendar?

Keep the photos coming always useful to have some of the components for use in the magazine. I can see this section of the forum is going to cover your rebuild.

Good luck!
    Logged Offline
    E-mail Reply: 1 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

I don't think I'll be able to match Quentin's Graceland epic though! I used your Tung Oil suggestion on the shock absorber wooden discs, so thanks for that.
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 2 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

Making good progress. The front axle has new king pins and is painted up and ready to go back on the refurbished springs. Steering box will soon be back on and the back axle is being rebuilt with a new CW&P etc.
    I did have one set back 2 weeks ago - I tripped over the chassis, hit the floor and knocked the chassis off it's axle stands and on to my left leg! I was trapped for about 30 seconds until I managed to lift it up and replace an axle stand. I thought my leg was going to break but just ended up with a huge bruise on the left thigh and also the left foot. I went to bed in shock for a couple of hours and in extreme pain. I have now joined each set of stands with 4x2 sections of wood and lashed the chassis to each stand

Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 3 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

progress update - front axle semi mounted- just waiting for the lower shock absorber mounting plates. Holes cut in chassis for the brake cables. Rear springs refurbished and attached. Next is the steering box to mount. Trouble is I keep getting dragged into the garden to help!
    I serviced the 75 saloon ready for the AGM trip - it's handy having her as I'm able to see how things go back together on the 90
    Cheers
    Guy
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 4 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

Front axle and shock absorbers now mounted and steering box and track rods as well. Just pressed in the new silent bloc bushes into the
    back springs - phew that was hard work! Went to a local wood yard yesterday who will be getting in some English ash .
    Cheers
    Guy

Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 5 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

help please!
    I need to know the size of the cheese head bolts that attach the steering wheel to the aluminium boss please
    I bought some M5 8 thread pitch but they tighten up after a few turns. Should they be BA threads?
    Cheers
    Guy
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 6 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

Steering wheel now attached using 2BA bolts as advised by both Foppe and David White - thanks!
    Have now worked out how the front brakes go together - pictures attached. I'm guessing there should be some sort of circlip on the brass
    bush that holds the 2 brake shoes together
    Now mounted the refurbished battery carrier
    Next to paint the brake drums
    Cheers
    Guy
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 7 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

wheels from my saloon fitted temporarily whilst installing cylinder block so that I can mount the radiator in preparation for making the body
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 8 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

Wheels back from James Wheildon after rebuilding and powder coating - he did a lovely job; tyres fitted - Excelsior 500-19s from
    Longstone Tyres (probably swayed by their marvelous adverts!)
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 9 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

I have a later AW75 steering box with provision for the preselector change lever. I made up an aluminium plate to cover this and have
    mounted an indicator switch on it - see attached. It lights up when in operation.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 10 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

English dry Ash collected!
    Phew - 2 10' planks and 1 8' plank. Each one ways a ton and they protruded about 4' out the back of my old BMW estate car for the 30
    mile drive home!
    If anyone ever wants ash, Whitney Sawmills in Whitney on Wye provided it and pretty reasonable prices.
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 11 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

Not much progress to report - 2 sill boards cut - see attached and a Facet pump installed
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 12 - 110
    James Wheildon
    July 26, 2010, 8:54pm Quote Report to Moderator
    TOC Member

[fHi Guy, This looks like gobbledy gook to me! Looking at your chassis it appears that the battery box (just found out how to delete some of the rubbish) picks up on the same crossmember as the rear of the wings at the front, and the chassis crossmember at the rear, so there is not a second smaller xmember at the rear of the battery box, is that right?
    Logged Offline
    E-mail Reply: 13 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

Hi James
    If you look at my last photo posted, you will see a second member supporting the rear of the battery cradle just in front of the chassis
    cross member. I couldn't get the correct one so modified another of the members used to support the front of the cradle and front wings.
    I'm off to the HVA auctions now but will post some better pictures later and also one of the correct rear members as on my saloon
    Cheers
    Guy

page 2
    TOC Member

James
    the 1st shot is of my rebuild with adapted cross member. The 2nd and 3rd are of my 75 saloon - it's a bit dark but you can make out the battery cradle member in front of the chassis cross member
    Cheers
    Guy
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 15 - 110
    James Wheildon
    July 27, 2010, 8:28pm Quote Report to Moderator
    TOC Member

Thanks Guy, I've got it !
    Logged Offline
    E-mail Reply: 16 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

ash frame part done-went a bit wrong on the offside "A" post but put another piece in the correct place and left the original wrongly sited
    bit in place. Had fun with the wheel arches - next comes the tricky bit - the scuttle!
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 17 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

Latest shots of the ash frame under construction - I'm leaving the scuttle to last as it scares me!
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 18 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    September 10, 2010, 8:13pm Quote Delete Modify Report to Moderator
    TOC Member

rear end almost complete - next the scuttle!
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 19 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    September 10, 2010, 8:15pm Quote Delete Modify Report to Moderator
    TOC Member

wrong picture attached to earlier post!
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 20 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    September 16, 2010, 8:57am Quote Delete Modify Report to Moderator
    TOC Member

more or less all that's left to do is the scuttle - the trickiest bit left till last!

Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 21 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    September 25, 2010, 7:21am Quote Delete Modify Report to Moderator
    TOC Member

door frame constructed and rear plywood panel - still not attempted the scuttle!
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 22 - 110
    James Wheildon
    September 28, 2010, 6:36pm Quote Report to Moderator
    TOC Member

Hi Guy, It looks almost professional. If you want to take some templates, I happen to know where there is a similar body, part constructed. Monday is a good day, phone to arrange. Keep it under your hat.
    Logged Offline
    E-mail Reply: 23 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    September 28, 2010, 8:46pm Quote Delete Modify Report to Moderator
    TOC Member

Thanks James. I'm going to Fop's on Friday who has a template ready, so I think I'm ok
    Not sure how to take the "almost professional " comment!!
    Are you going to Donnington?
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 24 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

well 2 steps back and 1 forward! Speaking to various people, I have clearly had gone wrong by making the sides vertical with no curve. I've
    rectified the nearside by making ash laminates and glued and screwed them to the various timbers so it now slightly curves. Offside to be done.
    I also discovered that the "A" posts lean out quite a bit at the top so the nearside has been corrected (again, I made them vertical)
    I bought a router that was far too heavyweight and impossible to use properly and too heavy. Now have a very lightweight one with 1/4"
    collet which did the trick for the floorboard cut out in the sill boards.
    Next is the sorting out of the offside, rear footwells and try and work out the scuttle shape. The engine goes off this Friday and with any
    luck my back axle will be ready so I can wheel the car out of the garage and get the wood dust outside!
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 25 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

well 2 steps back and 1 forward! Speaking to various people, I have clearly had gone wrong by making the sides vertical with no curve. I've
    rectified the nearside by making ash laminates and glued and screwed them to the various timbers so it now slightly curves. Offside to be done.
    I also discovered that the "A" posts lean out quite a bit at the top so the nearside has been corrected (again, I made them vertical)
    I bought a router that was far too heavyweight and impossible to use properly and too heavy. Now have a very lightweight one with 1/4"
    collet which did the trick for the floorboard cut out in the sill boards.
    Next is the sorting out of the offside, rear footwells and try and work out the scuttle shape. The engine goes off this Friday and with any
    luck my back axle will be ready so I can wheel the car out of the garage and get the wood dust outside!
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 26 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

John
    something's gone wrong with my last post!! - No worries all sorted out - let me know if it happens again - John
    Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 27 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

Just been to see how my new wings are coming on - the fronts are nearly completed - see attached
    If anyone needs similar, the chap who's doing these is excellent and very reasonable

Logged Online
    E-mail Reply: 28 - 110
    Guy Gregory
    TOC Member

More pictures - now with a slave back axle. It's great to be able to move her out of the garage with all the wood dust everywhere and it willbe so much better to see when sanding/shaping the frame

Comment

so far so good apart from photos not migrating across but that seems to be because some have disappeared off the old forum

Comment

page 3
        November 3, 2010, 12:14pm Quote Report to Moderator
        Committee Member

Hi Guy

Can you post details for your 'wing' man please.

David
        Logged Offline
        E-mail Reply: 30 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

progress report from freezing Herefordshire
        Have begun plywood infills which is quite fiddly
        The wings have now been completed and what a super job my man in Newent has done. The stays have also been made but he will be
        tailoring these to suit. I will soon take the body to him to panel the scuttle in aluminium and then to make the bonnet tops
        I have also acquired the metal to make the rear floor pans and then the spare wheel carrier
        In the meantime my 1976 Honda 400/4 which is with a mechanic in Ross-on-Wye is due for completion and MOT this week - it's been
        about 6 years being rebuilt from the bare frame - pictures to follow
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 31 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

plywood infills now completed and the body's off to have the aluminium scuttle made on Monday to Chris Smith in Newent who made the
        wings (weather allowing!)

Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 32 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

I've fabricated and fitted the spare wheel carrier whilst the body's away. The radiator shell, headlamp rims and some spinners have gone
        for chroming and the reflectors are being silvered.
        The cylinders in the block have been honed, the crankshaft is being ground and new mains are being manufactured. The cylinder head
        has been stitched between 1 & 2 valves and is away having new guides pressed in. Should get the body back when the freezing weather
        allows me out with the trailer
        I came back from London to Herefordshire yesterday morning at 7 am and was fine until west of Oxford when the snow got heavier and
        heavier. Across the Cotswolds it was probably 4-5 inches deep. I was doing about 25 mph when the car started to slide towards a car
        coming the other way. I corrected and ended up fishtailing down the road, bounced off a buried kerb and continued on. I was so lucky!
        The downhill sections were the worst - on and off the brakes and praying. Then the road was blocked by a lorry and a snow plough trying
        to clear the way. By the time we moved off, my automatic BMW was really difficult to get moving, but I just managed to crawl away. I
        didn't think I'd ever get home but when I reached Cheltenham, it eased off and the roads were pretty clear once through there. Roll on
        Spring!
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 33 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

Just treated the body for woodworm and painted black. Now waiting to get the petrol tank made so I can finish off the tail.Bonnet sides and windscreen are now made. Next to do are the footwells
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 34 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

I collected some chroming from S&T Plating in Bristol - what a lovely job! I also fitted the new "Pamela David" badge which looks great. Also got the reflectors re-silvered and the headlamp rims chromed. Lighting, indicator and stop light wiring fitted in conduit along the chassis; next is the
        instrument panel bracket and steering column support bracket. Petrol tank production starts Monday - when that's done I can finish off the rear
        of the body and cover it all in maroon leathercloth. I'm thinking of doing the wings, bonnet, tank, bootlid and headlamp shells maroon as well. It
        will have black running gear and black wheels as opposed to black wings as well (like my first Talbot SO 4347).
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 35 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

Progress on my petrol tank so far being fabricated by Chris Smith in Newent using lead coated steel. Apart from that, progress is slow at the
        moment!
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 36 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

radiator stone guard fitted pre-chroming. The surround will be chrome and the mesh black. Not much progress really until the petrol tank is
        finished
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 37 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

Headlamp bowls sprayed to go with the newly chromed rims (S&T Plating in Bristol). I had to fettle one rim quite a bit to allow it to fit with the
        heavy chroming on top of copper.
        The petrol tank is nearing completion (Chris Smith in Newent,who's doing a super job).
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 38 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

Baffling these tanks! Chris has made the baffles and will soon be ready to offer the tank to the chassis to check all fits before soldering the
        whole thing together - brilliant skills!
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 39 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

Chris and I trial - fitted the petrol tank last night - he still needs to get the long bar that goes through the tank and then through the chassis
        eyes - hence the screwdrivers! The fixing at the front is a long stud which passes through the chassis member in front of the tank. This stud has
        an adjustable bras collar which screws up and down to get the alignment right. It goes back next week for the edges to be crimped over and
        soldered and then the filler neck to be made and inserted
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 40 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

Chris and I had a day of rivitting last week - there were 30 rivits holding the baffles to the base! The large bar was welded to the side plates and those plates rivitted internally on to the sides of the tank - the rivits passing through to the external plates. The filler spout is now rivitted to the top of the tank and tomorrow we will be assembling the top of the tank to the rest of the tank - only when the soldering has been done inside the tank over the rivit heads and along the seams. When the top is on the edges will be crimped over and then everything soldered externally. Then it's the final fitting to the chassis
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 41 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

the tank is finished and I think a rather nice finishing touch - the cap is attached by a chain to the inside of the tank to stop me forgetting to
        put it back on and stop thieving hands!
        It's all been checked for leaks so I now need to etch prime it and fit it to the chassis - more pictures to follow
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 42 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        TOC Member

photos of the completed etch primed tank trial fitted again. I will need to adjust the front bolt to raise the front of the tank up and then raise thespare wheel carrier up a tad as the wheel is too close to the tank
        What a lovely job Chris did on the tank!
        Logged Online
        E-mail Reply: 43 - 110
        Guy Gregory
        September 28, 2011, 4:47pm Quote Delete Modify Report to Moderator
        TOC Member

Finished the "ears" on the rear of the body that sit under the front part of the boot lid and have now cut the long ash timbers that sit on top of
        the petrol tank and said "ears" - see photo

Comment

page 4
          TOC Member

last of the chroming collected and now fitted - windscreen, stone guard and rad cap - S&T chroming in Bristol - not cheap but first class. Have now finished the boot lid frame so that's the last of the woodwork - next is covering it all which I feel quite nervous about!
          Logged Online
          E-mail Reply: 45 - 110
          Guy Gregory
          TOC Member

2 pictures - the offside has just the foam padding glued on and the nearside has the calico stretched over the foam padding. Will soon have to
          attempt to stretch the leathercloth over!
          Logged Online
          E-mail Reply: 46 - 110
          Graeme Bennett
          November 17, 2011, 2:54pm Quote Report to Moderator
          TOC Member

Wey Man !!
          (best with a Newcastle accent)
          Logged Offline
          E-mail Reply: 47 - 110
          Guy Gregory
          TOC Member

both halfs of the body now covered in leathercloth and the windscreen trial fitted. Just a lot of tidying up to do on the fabric, then the door and
          aluminium strips on the door shut face and boot lid etc
          Logged Online
          E-mail Reply: 48 - 110
          Guy Gregory
          TOC Member

apologies for the picture quality - awful! - will try and get better pictures anon
          Logged Online
          E-mail Reply: 49 - 110
          Guy Gregory
          TOC Member

better pictures now she's back on her wheels (wheels were temporarily on the saloon whilst James Wheildon was respoking them). Now working on the door shut face etc
          Logged Online
          E-mail Reply: 50 - 110
          Guy Gregory
          TOC Member

this must have been the most difficult job so far - fitting the door with the aluminium edging strip
          Chris Smith heated it up and we bent it round the wooden door (before the fabric went on!) It's not too bad but will need some adjusting where it bends over at the top at each end
          Back axle and torque tube now rebuilt and fitted. Aluminium strip fitted to front of body where it faces the bulkhead
          Next - interior panels

Logged Online
          E-mail Reply: 51 - 110
          Graeme Bennett
          January 9, 2012, 8:46am Quote Report to Moderator
          TOC Member

Guy
          Hi
          Looks good
          Do you have the bearing numbers for the torque tube centre bearing Mine's missing!!!
          Do you have a good supplier...prices vary greatly.
          Did you set up the diff? any tips?
          Graeme
          Logged Offline
          E-mail Reply: 52 - 110
          Guy Gregory
          TOC Member

Graeme
          no, I didn't do the work on the back axle myself, Fop's chap did - I'm sure he'll tell you the number you need
          Cheers
          Guy
          Logged Online
          E-mail Reply: 53 - 110
          Tony Crossingham
          February 5, 2012, 10:04pm Quote Report to Moderator
          Guest User
          hello tony here looks a nice job. iam thinking of building a body like yours is there any plans about that could be aquired thanks tony..
          E-mail Reply: 54 - 110
          Guy Gregory
          TOC Member

Hi Tony
          I borrowed some cardboard templates from Foppe d'Hane - you'd need to ask him if you could borrow them
          Cheers Guy
          Logged Online
          E-mail Reply: 55 - 110
          Guy Gregory
          TOC Member

seated!
          This has been my first metal working project at Chris's garage. I made a cardboard template of a bucket seat I borrowed which had too upright a back on it. So I adapted it to give more rake and transferred it to an ali sheet. The first effort was still too upright so had another go and I think they're about right. The process is to cut the ali and fold over the bottom edge to form the base that the plywood base sits on. You start with the flat sheet and using a shrinker and stretcher, you end up curving it round and manually persuading the back round as you go. Then the front is welded up. Before the bending takes place a swager is used to put a line / slight bend 11mm in from the edge. After the seat is formed this
          11mm section is bent over copper coated steel wire all the way round the edges. Finally, deep swages are pressed into the rear curvature to add
          stiffness.
          The 2nd seat was a far better effort than the 1st of course!
          Logged Online
          E-mail Reply: 56 - 110
          Julian Hunt
          May 1, 2012, 10:53am Quote Report to Moderator
          TOC Member

A friend of mine built a Maserati V4 replica from scratch and reckons that he scrapped all his first attempts at any of the tasks. Sometimes the second one worked, but he quite often junked those as well. Two acceptable seats out of two means you must be a natural. Well done.
          Logged Offline
          E-mail Reply: 57 - 110
          Tony Crossingham
          May 1, 2012, 12:26pm Quote Report to Moderator
          Guest User
          hello tony crossingham here fine job your doing on your talbot. iam thinking the same have you a contact phone number thanks tony.. ps. my e/mail address ernestashly@hotmail.co.uk
          E-mail Reply: 58 - 110
          Guy Gregory
          TOC Member

Not been much progress of late but I'm now on to the beginnings of wiring her. Rear Lights fitted and windscreen
          wipers so far
          Hoping to get the rebuilt engine and gearbox back soon and then she's off to Chris Smith for bonnet, boot lid,
          valences and wing fitting

Comment

well I've hit snags - the old forum either has most pictures now missing from posts and where they still exist, have mutated to a much larger picture. You can click on it to reduce it back to it's original size but copying across to the new forum corrupts it again

Comment

• Filter
            • Time
            • Show
            • New Topics
            Clear All
            No content found
            Show More

• Filter
            • Time
            • Show
            • New Topics
            Clear All
            Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
            Directory Topics Posts Last Post
            Main Forum Description
            Topics: 7 Posts: 31
            Last Post: 14/45 Camshaft
            7 31
            gordon higginbotham
            14/45 Camshaft
            Need to know how to do something on your Talbot - find it here!
            Topics: 4 Posts: 5
            4 5
            Guy Gregory
            Engine Oiling problem
            Topics: 2 Posts: 3
            2 3
            Here you will find new and used spares, technical data sheets for servicing etc
            Topics: 8 Posts: 31
            Last Post: Used spares
            8 31
            Guy Gregory
            Used spares
            Topics: 1 Posts: 1
            Last Post: Talbot specialists
            1 1
            Guy Gregory
            Talbot specialists
            Sub-Forums:
            RESTORERS (1/1)