Talbot 14/45 Distributor Gear Mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talbot 14/45 Distributor Gear Mesh

I am looking for some Talbot expertise please.
    On rebuilding the engine on my 14/45 Scout, following an engine seize, and I have taken the opportunity to look at the distributor, which I felt had previously had too much backlash on the gear. I have taken some photos (as attached), and to me it clearly shows that the distributor gear is only half in mesh.
    My first thought is that I have the wrong model distributor. It is A Delco-Remy 656ED, which came with the car. In the Technical Resource manual in the table on page 22 and in a letter from Delco-Remy on page 24 it states that for the 14/45 Talbot 1929/1930, the model of Delco-Remy distributor should be a 656Z. Does anyone know if the 656Z has a longer shaft?
    Attached Files

Hi Ron, My 95 had a 565ED distributor, which was not correct for the car, I ran it for only 38 years with that on it. I have yet to run it with the correct 650. I think all the distributors are physically identical, I have just looked at my spares but I do not have a 656Z. I have measured the distance between the mounting face and the bottom face of the gear which is 51mm, how does that compare to your 's?

Comment

Hi Ron
      Just spoke to John Dodd- he asks that you email him as he might be able to help you
      Best wishes
      Guy

Comment

Hi Ron,
        The 656ED was originally fitted to the early 14/45 cars and changed to the 656Z with the start of the AG 14/45. As far as I can determine the 14/45 and 18hp distributors are interchangeable as a unit with the following caveats:
        1. The springs for the advance are different between the 18 and the 14/45
        2. From memory there is plate that has a slot that controls the maximum advance possible and these seem to range from 63º, 55º, 30º and 34º . Since only one slot is needed to control the maximum auto advance it is possible that some plates have two slots diametrically opposite with different max auto advance limits. The degree of max advance may be stamped on the disc as well.
        3. The drive shaft for the 656Z / 656 ZA are different to the 650KA / 650KB and are different part numbers.
        I think you need to look very closely at the meshing patterns on the camshaft and distributor gear. At first sight from your photos the meshing pattern on the camshaft looks correct?

Comment

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        No content found
        Show More

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
        Working...
        X