SU Electric Fuel Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SU Electric Fuel Pumps

I have finally decided to give up on my quest to get the the mechanical AC fuel pump to work on my car and have decided to fit an SU electric pump. Can anyone advise which model is suitable for my 14/45 Scout please?

Hi Ron
    I had endless problems with my mechanical pump, but Foppe supplied me with a refurbished Landrover pump which bolts on to the existing base (with the operating lever still in place). It has an upside down glass bowl and looks fine. I had a Facet pump which was too powerful for the job, so Foppe came to the rescue again with a Lucas electric pump

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Rumbol View Post
      I have finally decided to give up on my quest to get the the mechanical AC fuel pump to work on my car and have decided to fit an SU electric pump. Can anyone advise which model is suitable for my 14/45 Scout please?
      Hi Ron, Any High Pressure SU Pump will do the trick, I have one on Fuggle. These pumps come in two flavours, one that is designed to live near the tank and has the pressure to send it the length of the car to the engine (high pressure) and the Low pressure that is designed to live in the engine bay and suck it all the way from the tank. I mounted Fuggle's next to the tank and so needed a high pressure - same as is needed for my Healey 100 (AZX 1331). They come in all polarities and none (dual polarity). They also sell a points-free hall-effect electronic one which doesn't have points, my experience with these is not great, so I'd stick with points.

They're available from Burlen directly but they don't have much in stock at the moment!

Comment

Hi Ron,

Assuming that your old/new AC pumps have the correct operating lever they are pretty foolproof and I would keep this system. There is nothing wrong with SU pumps either. I have fitted one near the tank on my 90 but only use it for priming the carburetor. It is capable of pushing fuel through the AC pump and I have a switch under the dashboard to energise it.....saves lifting the bonnet to work the priming lever.

If you cannot get fuel through by operating your priming lever (which is independant of the operating lever) then there is something wrong that even an SU might not be able to compensate for. The most likely reasons are blocked fuel lines or there is an air leak.....have you taken the fuel exit/Hobson unit out of the tank. Maybe the fuel delivery pipe has fallen off or one of the soldered joints has failed. It only needs a small air leak to stop the pump from working. Also check that there is not a blockage in the unit....it is the first thing to trap any crude in the tank, especially in the 90° bend were the fuel line attaches.

Don't give up on the AC pump.....they are ultra reliable.

Let us know how you get on.

Dick

Comment

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        No content found
        Show More

• Filter
        • Time
        • Show
        • New Topics
        Clear All
        Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.
        Working...
        X